Antony was substituted by Ruben Amorim in United's 3-1 defeat to Brighton in what could be his farewell game at Old Trafford. The €100 million loan deal to Real Betis in La Liga has been agreed verbally and is expected to be completed this week.
Italian transfer expert Fabrizio Romano confirmed: "Antony has agreed to loan Real Betis until the end of the season with every detail of the transfer, Manchester United and Betis are set to reach a deal this week and they will have a final round of negotiations to agree on some small issues. Soon we will be able to go here!"
Antony has scored just once in the Premier League since April 2023, so he was clearly not substituted to try to score, but only to give him a chance to say goodbye at Old Trafford. Antony is only halfway through his five-year contract with Manchester United, and under the Premier League's PSR profitability and sustainability rules, the club will need to sell him for £32.52 million this year to ensure he doesn't lose money on the books.
Anthony at the moment will certainly not be able to reach this price, and even half of it will be difficult. Therefore, the club will be hoping that he can find his form at Betis in order to increase his transfer value. According to the Western media, Betis have promised plenty of game time and are confident of helping Anthony get back to playing at a level, making him a key player under Manuel Pellegrini.
However, United will have to pay more than half of Antony's £200,000-a-week salary, and Betis will not commit to a buyout, with no mandatory permanent transfer clause in the loan contract, similar to the situation when Jadon Sancho returned to Dortmund last year.
Antony has the chance to make one last appearance for United before going out on loan, but Manchester United star Marcus Rashford has not featured in the last eight games. Boss Amorim has made it clear that it is Rashford's own choice.
"I'm not disappointed, it's his own choice." Amorim said of Rashford's continued waiver: 'I don't want to focus on anything else at this bad moment because Marcus wasn't in the team in the game we lost. I don't want to blame Rashford for the bad moment, Rashford doesn't belong to this moment because he didn't play. Either way, I'm not going to play a player who I don't think will bring the best performance to the team."
AC Milan have dropped out of the race against Marcus Rashford and the potential next for the 27-year-old will now be Borussia Dortmund or Barcelona. Fabrizio Romano said: 'As expected, Marcus Rashford was once again not on the bench at Manchester United. Talks over his departure will take place next week and Dortmund and Barcelona are ready for more contacts."
Borussia Dortmund were in the lead for the time being, with Romano explaining: "Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United are planning new talks over Rashford in the coming days. AC Milan are close to signing Walker, so Dort will explore more details about Rashford's loan. Barcelona need to address Ansu Fati's future first."
According to the German newspaper Bild, if all goes well, Rashford could travel to Germany for a medical examination on Thursday. German media claim Rashford is willing to give up part of his salary in order to join Dort. But despite this, Dort's loan for Rashford still requires between €6 million and €8 million, which is still the biggest problem facing the Hornets.