Home>soccerNews> Mourinho was sacked with a €9 million payout! It is revealed he is willing to walk back to coach Manchester United, with a possible return to Old Trafford next month. >

Mourinho was sacked with a €9 million payout! It is revealed he is willing to walk back to coach Manchester United, with a possible return to Old Trafford next month.

After only six games this season, Mourinho was relieved of his duties by Turkish Süper Lig side Fenerbahçe. Following a narrow 1-0 away defeat to Benfica in the Champions League qualifiers, they missed out on the main competition. The club’s announcement stated: "We have separated from José Mourinho, who had been our head coach since the start of the 2024/25 campaign. We thank him for his efforts so far and wish him success in his future career."

The 62-year-old Mourinho took charge in May 2024 on a two-year contract, but this time he didn’t even last the so-called “Mourinho three years.” Turkish media “Spor Arena” revealed that during the summer transfer window, Mourinho’s relationship with Fenerbahçe’s board was tense, as he openly criticized the club’s strategy.

“If the Champions League is vital for the club, then moves should have been made during the transfer window between Feyenoord and Benfica,” Mourinho said before facing Benfica. “I don’t think Fenerbahçe was prepared to buy players.” This statement was seen as the final straw, leading the board to unanimously decide on his dismissal. Fenerbahçe failed to capitalize on having a man advantage in the first leg, drawing 0-0 with Benfica at home, then losing 0-1 away and exiting the competition, relegating them to the Europa League again.

In Mourinho’s only full season at Fenerbahçe, the team failed to win any trophies, finishing second in the Turkish league behind rivals Galatasaray. They were knocked out in the quarterfinals of the Turkish Cup and did not reach the round of 16 in the Europa League. Club president Ali Koç met Mourinho in London in June, attempting to terminate the contract, but Mourinho chose to continue coaching.

However, just a month into the new season, conflicts with the board became irreconcilable. During the summer window, Fenerbahçe signed new players like Nélson Semedo and John Durán, aiming to surpass Galatasaray and win the league title.

Mourinho complained that the transfers necessary for success were not made, which confused executives who claimed he distorted facts. A board insider stated: “We repeatedly asked him which positions and players he wanted. Apart from Skriniar, he did not name any others. If the essential transfers were not completed, the responsibility lies not with us but with Mourinho himself.”

At the time of Mourinho’s dismissal, Fenerbahçe was seventh in the league with 4 points after two Süper Lig rounds. The Portuguese coach will receive another compensation payment, with Turkish media reporting that Fenerbahçe must pay €9 million in severance fees.

Interestingly, another former Manchester United manager, Solskjær, was sacked a day earlier by Turkish club Beşiktaş after their exit from the Europa Conference League qualifiers, losing to Lausanne-Sport, a Swiss team owned by Manchester United’s owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe. The 52-year-old Solskjær only took the job in January and lasted seven months.

Coincidentally, on Wednesday night, Manchester United was shockingly eliminated from the League Cup second round by League Two side Grimsby Town, increasing pressure on manager Rúben Amorim. Rumors suggest both recently dismissed former Red Devils managers might make a “second return.”

Especially Mourinho, who reportedly discussed the possibility of coaching Manchester United again with close friends. The Manchester Evening News reported earlier this year that Mourinho told friends he would be willing to walk back to Manchester if given the chance to manage the Red Devils again.

Last October, Mourinho joked that he was ready to coach a Premier League relegation-threatened team. “After leaving Fenerbahçe, the best thing I can do is join a club not involved in European competitions. So, I’m ready to manage a club at the bottom of the English league, one that won’t need a coach for two years!” Mourinho said at the time.

Unexpectedly, his words became prophetic as Manchester United, who finished 15th in the Premier League last season and missed European competitions, now fit that description well. However, Mourinho later clarified: “I was just joking. I’ve never managed a relegation-threatened club and I never will.”

He added: “I’m simply frustrated because this stage of my coaching career shouldn’t be like this. I should always be happy, but currently, despite competing in Europe, I often feel down. But I won’t fight to avoid relegation; that’s too difficult! Honestly, I think it’s the hardest thing, even harder than fighting for titles. Emotionally, it’s very taxing and life-changing. I believe those who can do it are very brave.”

Although Manchester United’s current squad is considered well-suited to Mourinho’s style, it is understood that he has no intention of competing with his former pupil Amorim for the job, making a return to United unlikely. Moreover, neither Ralf Rangnick nor Erik ten Hag currently plan to change managers.

Former Manchester United chief scout Mike Phelan revealed that Nottingham Forest in the Premier League is the most likely next destination for Mourinho. Forest’s manager Nuno Espírito Santo led the team to their first European qualification in 30 years last season, but his relationship with owner Evangelos Marinakis has deteriorated, putting his future at the City Ground in doubt. Santo admitted: “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. I know what’s going on. Last season, I was close with the owner, chatting daily. This season hasn’t been good; our relationship has changed and we’re no longer as close.”

According to "TeamTalk," if Santo is dismissed, Mourinho is considered one of the potential replacements, along with Celtic’s Brendan Rodgers and former Tottenham coach Ange Postecoglou, and he is willing to return to English football.

However, if Mourinho does not seek a new managerial role immediately, he is likely to return to Old Trafford next month. At the end of next month, Manchester United will host Chelsea, both clubs being former employers of Mourinho. Unless unexpected, broadcasters like Sky Sports UK will surely invite him as a match commentator. With Gancho having switched to the Red Devils, the hype will be enormous, drawing massive attention. Mourinho has previously returned to Old Trafford as a commentator for the Manchester derby, receiving a warm welcome from the home crowd, to which he responded with a flying kiss.

Comment (0)
No data
Site map Links
Contact informationContact
Business:ANTSCORE LTD
Address:UNIT 1804 SOUTH BANK TOWER, 55 UPPER GROUND,LONDON ENGLAND SE1 9E
Number:+85259695367
E-mali:[email protected]
APP
Scan to DownloadAPP